If I am eligible, what benefits do I receive?
The Commission is a payor of last resort and provides compensation for the following unreimbursed expenses:
- Medical and mental health counseling expenses that are not covered by other sources.
- Lost earnings or support that is not covered by other sources.
- Funeral and burial expenses that are not covered by other sources.
- Acknowledgement award for victims only. Acknowledgement awards are symbolic in nature and are awarded to acknowledge a victim’s suffering. Such awards are not intended to quantify physical and/or emotional losses suffered as the result of a crime.
- Pecuniary loss directly resulting from the injury or death of the victim.
- Property damage (“Good Samaritans” only).
The Commission is a payor of last resort. The Commission may pay compensation only after all other sources have been exhausted. An award may be reduced by amounts received from Workers’ Compensation, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Civil Suits, Temporary Disability Insurance or Restitution from the offender. You must file timely claims with Workers’ Compensation, Motor Vehicle Insurance, Temporary Disability Insurance and your medical insurance carrier. You must reimburse the Commission if you receive moneys from these sources.